In the second half of the 19th century, a new shooting range was built on the moorlands near Oldebroek so the artillery could practise. The existing shooting ranges had become too short for modern weapons. The Minister of War at the time commissioned the search for a new range, which should have a central location and be easily accessible by road and over water. In 1875 the ministry purchased the required land. In 1877, the Regiment Vestingartillerie was the first to practise with their weapons there. Since 1878, the Artillerie Schietschool in ‘t Harde is used for year-round military training.
Our park is often visited by guests who used to be stationed here and now bring their children or grandchildren to visit the nearby artillery museum.